PBX stands for Private Branch Exchange, which refers to a private telephone network used within a company. Users of PBX phone systems share a wide array of outside lines to make external phone calls, usually involving a third party for international calls. PBX hacking/fraud happens when someone gains access to a business’s PBX phone system and generates a profit from the international calls, at the business’s expense.
ACC Telecom is here to fill you in on how to avoid PBX hacking/fraud and liability for payments. If you believe your PBX phone system has been hacked, call us immediately at 410-995-0101.
Steps to Prevent PBX Hacking/Fraud
There are several ways your business can prevent a fraudulent attack. Consider taking the following steps to prevent PBX hacking/fraud:
- Choose VoIP: VoIP phone service (SIP Trunks) helps prevent PBX fraud by requiring a PIN code to place international calls. Without it, international calls can be disabled entirely. VoIP technology is also a great solution because it includes automatic call logging which can help you identify a breach in security or the source of the external call.
- Voicemail Passcodes: You should change your voicemail pass codes often and avoid using predictable or generic PIN codes like extension numbers or 1234.
- Disable or Restrict Voicemail Call Thru: We recommend that you disable Call Thru or set restrictions on the voicemail port to ensure call forwarding is only allowed within local area codes. Why? When a hacker gains access to the voicemail inbox, they can change the Transfer Type to 011 IDD (International Direct Dialing Number) to enable international call transferring.
- Do Not Post a DID Directory Online: It is not wise to post a complete list of direct inward dialing numbers (DIDs) on your website because it gives hackers too many options of company phone numbers they can attempt hacking into.
- Restrict Voicemail Access Attempts: Be sure to configure your system so that three unsuccessful voicemail access attempts results in call failure or a voicemail lockout.
- Disable Past Mailboxes: When an administrator, employee, or contractor leaves your company it is important that you eliminate their accessibility and disable their mailboxes.
- PBX Checks: You should schedule routine PBX checks with your phone system administrator to assess system vulnerabilities and minimize the chance of an attack.
- Lock Your PBX Closet: Make sure the room where your PBX phone system is located is locked at all times when not attended.
- Upgrade from digital to IP: Digital phone systems tend to be breached more often than IP PBX systems or Cloud-based phone systems. This is because they are not consistently updated with software security enhancements and patches.
Has Your PBX Phone System Been Hacked? Call ACC Telecom Today
ACC Telecom is certain to be the right telecommunications company for businesses everywhere. They have been providing expert service and advice since 1979 and can meet all of your telecommunications needs. They offer a wide range of business phone and video surveillance systems to meet the needs of any organization. They have been helping build the future of communications for business all across Maryland, DC, and Northern VA.
Please contact ACC Telecom to request service or a quote for a new or used system. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or give them a call at any of the following numbers:
- 410-995-0101 (main)
- 888-226-2216 (toll-free)
- 202-347-0127 (Washington DC)
- 703-281-3400 (Northern VA)
- 301-621-4646 (Western MD)